10.06.2008

The path to insanity

When Addy was born I had a hard time adjusting to the daily ins and outs of staying home with a Thing. I felt like I did the same things over and over and over and over - laundry, cooking, cleaning, sleeping, changing diapers, feeding, bathing, shopping . . . nothing ever stayed done. Isn't that the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? I was quickly headed down a path that would land me in the loony-bin.

Then the newly minted Nana gave me a valuable piece of advice. To keep the claws of insanity at bay do at least one thing every day that STAYS done. That one doesn't have to be big. It doesn't have to be significant. It just has to require no repetition - at least not for a month or two.

So what's your daily sanity saver? You show me yours and I'll show you mine (for a week or so - more than that and any glassy-rose conceptions you have about glamorous adventure and exciting thrill present in my life, false as they may be, could be shattered forever) . . . assuming my free wireless cooperates and lets me post daily (yes, it's another story worth a post of its own.)

Monday, October 6, 2008 (Day 1) - I took the glass microwave turntable to my next door neighbor - she's borrowing our extra microwave while her kitchen is being remodeled.

3 comments:

abm said...

Yeah, I've tried doing one thing a day that stays done and I haven't found anything yet in all the years that actually stays done. So, let me know if you find it. I guess technically that makes me pretty crazy.

Cheryl said...

So Bill and I coach a 2nd grade flag football team. Mostly Bill, I just fill in - poorly - when he's out of town. My main contribution is making a banner for the boys to run through (ala Jr. High football) at the beginning of the second half.
Today I made a banner for next week's game. I know it will be destroyed in a few days. But for now, it's something that is done. Does that count? It's the best I can do.

Linsey said...

that is excellent advice and I could have used it YEARS ago!