7.29.2008

I feel the earth move under my feet . . .

Today we experienced the first earthquake of any real significance since we moved here to southern California in September '06. I have to say it left me a little queasy. And not just by thinking of how bad it could have been; we had hanging lights swinging and the blow-up pool jiggling, and we lost 2 jars of spaghetti sauce (I probably shouldn't stack those, huh?), but we didn't experience any lasting damage. Rather I actually got a little sick to my stomach once the shaking stopped. Who knew sea-sickness (or is that land-sickness?) was a side effect of earthquakes? The epicenter of the magnitude 5.4 quake was about 28 miles north of us, outside of Chino Hills. It only lasted 20-30 seconds and we haven't felt any of the after shocks. The shaking made Jack a little nervous and he spent the next hour or so outside, watching for the next one to start. Hopefully he'll have to watch for a good long time before we have another trembler.

1 comment:

TeamWalker said...

Hi Cecily! I found you on Jake and Lindseys blog. I can't beleive how big your kids are. Addison looks so mature. I can't beleive what a difference there is between girls and boys. Kaden still acts like he is three half the time, and he wil be 10 in a couple of months. He thinks he is a Major Leauge baseball player, and that is pretty much all he cares about. I'm glad we will be able to keep in touch through our blogs. Hope to see you all soon. Misty